Total cooking time: 20 minutes
Basmati rice: 2 cups
Tamarind pulp: 1/2 cup
Asafoetida (Hing): 1/4 tsp
Powdered mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Powdered fenugreek seeds: 1/4 tsp
Oil: 1/4 cup
Red chillies: 4
Curry leaves: 10-15
Peanuts: 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Sugar: 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts: 5
Salt to taste
- Wash and strain rice.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the rice and 4 cups of water and pressure cook.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok or kadai, add asafoetida, 7-8 curry leaves and tamarind pulp, saute' on medium flame for about 5 minutes, till gravy consistency is achieved.
- For tempering: Heat rest of the oil in a small fry pan, add remaining curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chillies and peanuts.
- Removed cooked rice onto a deep dish, add powdered fenugreek and mustard seeds, sugar, salt to taste and the above tempered ingredients.
- Garnish with raisins and cashew nuts.
Serve hot, generous helpings are sufficient for about four people. It can be accompanied with any vegetable or cereal gravy, sambar, curry or rasam. In Hyderabad It is usually made when they prepare puran polis and is often accompanied with their traditional tamarind curry.