Numerous medical studies have shown that there is a strong relationship between stress and psoriasis. This skin condition gives rise to stress and stress acts as a triggering factor for psoriasis. This vicious circle aggravates the issue. If steps to break this cycle are adopted, the condition can be brought under control.
How psoriasis causes stress?
- A psoriasis patient becomes self conscious about lesions and patches on skin.
- He or she gets stressed when people react to these lesions.
- Sometimes carrying out their daily routine becomes painful due to bleeding sores.
- Increased psoriatic lesions may demoralize an individual.
- Cost involved in treatment may be high.
- Psoriasis patients may get depressed if treatments do not yield expected results.
How stress increases psoriasis?
- Stress is a triggering factor for psoriasis.
- Dermatological studies show that level of cortisol hormone drops during the phase when symptoms of psoriasis reduce. And also studies have shown that stress releases cortisol.
Tips to break stress-psoriasis cycle:
- Practice Yoga and meditation.These are very effective relaxation therapies.
- Exercise regularly.This is the best stress buster.
- Join a support group who motivates you to overcome stress.
- Practice deep breathing exercises (pranayama).
- Get a massage to whole body. Use a herbal oil which helps to sooth the affected areas.
- Indulge in your favorite hobbies.Hobbies keep you engaged and reduce stress level.
- Take a break from regular work to visit friends or places you like.