In the Sanskrit language the meaning of Shilajit is “hard like a rock”. Shilajit is a bituminous substance which is a compact mass of organic (vegetable) matter composed of a dark red gummy matrix, oozing out of rocks in Balaghat in Uttrakhand and along the Himalayan ranges. The cliff face is so steep that few people are able to tap the genuine source. In fact, it is a compressed mineral ‘pitch’ containing more than 85 minerals and nutrients along with fulvic acid.
Ancient Indian sages regarded shilajit as a godly blessing so that we humans can preserve our powers and youth for attaining longevity. This oily substance is popularly known as an “ayurvedic aphrodisiac”. It is bitter in taste, and has an organic smell. It has multiple uses, which include management of obesity; regulation of thyroid activity; Type 2 diabetes mellitus; sterility; arthritic and rheumatic pains; gallstones; dysmennorhea and menorrhagia; anorexia; bone fractures; healing of wounds; as an anti-stressor; impotence; a memory enhancer in patients of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
The underlying power of Shilajit comes from its property of restoring electrical activity of body cells, reducing stress, balancing energy and the immune system. In addition it has an anabolic and anti-aging action. Thus, it has a large spectrum of therapeutic uses, and is labeled as an “evergreen rejuvenator”. These claims are under evaluation by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). Some details about its actions and multiple uses of Shilajit follow:
- Shilajit accelerates protein and nucleic acid metabolism, stimulating energy providing reactions. It also promotes the movement of minerals specially calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium into muscle tissue and bone.
- The main cause of obesity is improper energy metabolism resulting in extra storage of fat in the body. Shilajit balances energy metabolism, and burns the excess of body fat. It is claimed to be a potent excess body fat dissolver.
- In hypothyroidism it streamlines the activity of the thyroid gland.
- It is a cure for erectile dysfunction, and increases fertility.
- It is effective in Type 2 diabetes mellitus, and promotes the activity of the insulin-producing beta-cells of the pancreas.
- Shilajit is effective against arthritic and rheumatic pains.
- It is an effective anti-stressor agent. It has also been found to be effective in degenerative brain disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease, and enhances memory and motor performance.
- Shilajit amplifies the benefits of nutrients in the body by enhancing their bioavailability.
- It also stimulates the immune mechanisms, and reduces chronic fatigue
- In addition, it is also prescribed for a number of liver, gastrointestinal, genito-urinary, and respiratory diseases.
A point of caution is that these claims are yet to be finally evaluated and approved by the FDA of the country.