Women usually develop stretch marks during pregnancy. The stretch marks appear due to sudden stretching of skin surface. The genetic factors play a big role in appearance of these marks. The stretch marks appear on stomach, breasts and thighs. The color of these marks can start as pink progress to reddish brown, brown or dark brown. Over a long period of time they acquire silvery grey. These color changes depend upon the color of skin. The stretch marks even though can not be completely cured; at least they can be minimized.
Texts of ayurveda mention stretch marks as “Kikkwisa”. Applying kumkumadi lepam, turmeric rubbed with ksheerabala oil help to reduce stretch marks. Ayurveda acharyas recommend preventing scratching the stretch marks as it causes scarring. If you feel itching sensations on these marks rub lightly with soft cotton cloth or cotton balls. Massaging abdomen very lightly with ksheerabala oil helps to reduce dryness of skin and reduces striae gravidarum.
The severity of stretch marks can be reduced or minimized by taking preventive measures as early as possible. Here are few tips to prevent stretch marks.
1. Apply plenty of moisturizing lotion at repeated intervals of time.(Dermatologists recommend application of moisturizer at least 4 times daily). Select a moisturizer which is rich in natural ingredients. Avoid moisturizer which contains harsh chemicals.
2. Drink plenty of water to keep the skin well hydrated. Well hydrated skin has more elasticity.
3. Include fresh vegetables and fruits which are rich in Vitamins (E and C) and minerals (silica and zinc).
4. Exercise regularly. Always chose mild exercises. Consult your gynecologist before starting any exercise routine during pregnancy.
5. Check your weight. Any abnormal weight gain can exaggerate appearance of stretch marks.
6. Applying ayurvedic ksheerabala oil which is prepared with sesame oil, milk and sida cardifolia (herb) helps to reduce dryness of skin.
7. Application of kumkumadi lepa or kumkumadi taila also helps to reduce the stretch marks.
8. Mix turmeric to ksheerabala oil and apply on striae gravidarum. This has to be done when the marks appear in beginning.
9. A home remedy for stretch marks goes as follows. Mix a pinch of turmeric in 10 ml of pure coconut oil. Apply this on stretch marks. The same remedy is recommended by Ayurveda acharyas.