Men who suffer from diabetes tend to develop erectile dysfunction earlier than men of same age who do not have diabetes. Diabetic men experience difficulties to achieve erection as age advances.
Probable causes of erectile dysfunction in diabetes:
Erection requires a sequence of events. Erectile dysfunction can occur when any of the events is disturbed. Nerve impulses in the brain, spinal column, around the penis and response in muscles, fibrous tissues, veins, and arteries in and around the corpora cavernosa constitute this sequence of events. Diabetes affects skin, blood vessels, nerves and muscles. Elevated blood glucose level damages blood vessels and nerve endings. This disturbs the sequence of events which cause erection. Even a good desire of sex in men suffering from diabetes does not help to get sufficient erection.
Diabetes also damages arteries of heart (coronary arteries). Hence heart diseases and diabetes are often linked together. Hence diabetic men who suffer from erectile dysfunction should consult their physician to rule out coronary artery disease (CAD). Uncontrolled blood glucose level cause great damage to blood vessels nerves and muscles. It may also affect vital organs like heart and kidney. Complications like hypertension; elevated blood cholesterol level further aggravates the condition and increase the risk of erectile dysfunction or ED
Simple Tips to control diabetes:
- Practice a healthy diet which includes plenty of vegetables and fruits. Avoid consumption of foods which increase blood cholesterol and blood sugar.
- Eat banana daily. Banana supplies required amount of minerals and vitamins to rejuvenate nerves, blood vessels and muscles. But precaution has to be taken to reduce the quantity of other carbohydrates and sugars to accommodate the carbohydrates of banana.
- Consume neem regularly. Regular consumption of neem flowers and neem leaves help to control diabetes. Collect 2-3 tea spoons of fresh neem flowers and tender neem leaves. Soak them overnight and crush it in blender with little water. Squeez the juice and mix ½ cup of water .Drink this in empty stomach in morning. Neem flowers and neem leaves can be collected during blossoming season and dried powder of this mixture can be used when the season ends. Take care to dry this mixture in hot sun and store in cool dry place.
- Exercise regularly. Brisk walk for 45 minutes help to burn calories and increase blood supply to all parts of body. Exercise is the best way to reduce obesity, blood sugar level and blood cholesterol level.
- Practice Yoga and Mediation to reduce stress. Stress aggravates diabetes, high blood pressure and blood cholesterol.