|Psoriasis affects both genders. This condition is not infectious. It is a prolonged inflammation of skin. The causes of psoriasis are still unclear. Psoriasis may start at any age. Here are few home remedies and self care tips for psoriasis.
- Keep skin moist: Apply plenty of moisturizer on the skin. Smear coconut oil or sesame oil on the body before taking bath. Gently remove dried skin flakes without hurting the underlying skin. Use moisturizing agents which are thick and greasy. Avoid drying of skin. Dry skin leads to cracks which may bleed leading to infections.
- Prevent infection: Maintain skin hygiene by keeping the body skin clean. Take care to keep the affected area clean. Infections may exaggerate psoriasis.
- Avoid harsh body soaps: Harsh soaps or body wash strip the natural oils from skin. This makes skin dry and susceptible to infections. Use a natural body scrub. Mix flours of orange lentil (masoor), fenugreek (methi seeds) seeds and green gram (whole moong) in equal proportion. Sieve the mixture and store it in an airtight container. Soak three tea spoons of this mixture in water for five minutes and then use as body scrub instead of soap or body wash.
Neem Tulsi soap is usually recommended by ayurvedic physicians. This soap contains herbs neem and tulsi which help in psoriasis. This Leaves skin clean and glowing without stripping natural oils. After bath or wash pat dry the skin. Do not rub the towel vigorously on skin.
- Avoid skin injuries: Skin injuries like scratches, sun burn, or irritation can flare up psoriasis. Avoid over exposure to sun, skin irritants like hair dye, skin bleach etc. Even chopping few vegetables like onion, radish, garlic etc can harm skin. Cover your body with cotton clothes and wear a cap which has sun shade. Use latex kitchen gloves while chopping vegetables. Avoid harsh skin and hair products.
- Use humidifier: Do not forget to use humidifier if you are using room heater. Humidifiers increase moisture level of surrounding air and prevent drying of skin.
- Reduce use of air conditioners: Continuous exposure to cold surroundings can cause dry skin and flare up psoriasis.
- Use medications carefully: Few medications can exaggerate the psoriasis. Discuss with your family physician before starting any medications.
- Reduce body weight: It is difficult to control psoriasis in obese persons. Hence reduce body weight.
- Reduce stress levels: Stress worsens psoriasis. Practice Yoga and Meditation to reduce stress. Exercise regularly. Texts of ayurveda recommend the following self-care tips for psoriasis
- Do not control natural urges like vomiting, urination, bowel emptying etc.
- Do not take cold water bath immediately after a heavy work out, traveling, a long walk etc
- Take care not to consume foods which cause indigestion. Avoid opposite foods.
(Curds, salt, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, sour fruits, meat, prawn, pork, should not be consumed with milk. The above mentioned foods should not be consumed by mixing one item with another. Sprouts, honey and milk should not be consumed with meat and fish. Fish & milk ; fish & sugarcane juice; jaggery & pork; honey & pork; milk & mango; banana & milk; are opposite foods.)
- Absolutely do not eat too much of salty, sour or acidic foods.
- Avoid sleeping in afternoons.
- Say no to radish, urad dal (Black gram), sesame, jaggery (gur), curd, fish and other sour foods.
- Always wear cotton clothes. Synthetic clothes sometimes irritate skin.