Mar 03, 2024
Mar 03, 2024
It is not the public which must determine whether Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was guilty or not of involvement in the Gujarat riots against Muslims. Official investigators must determine that. If guilty, it is not for the public to determine the extent of his guilt. The courts must determine that.
It may be recalled that Modi allegedly instigated police officers to display a heavy hand against Muslims after the Godhra train fire killed many passengers. These allegations have been made by police officers RB Sreekumar and Sanjiv Bhatt respectively. However I might add that within a very short time after the Gujarat riots senior retired police officer KPS Gill had met with Gujarat police officers during his visit to the state to assess the situation. He quoted them as making the same allegation. I reproduced his statement in the media shortly thereafter.
Although the public cannot judge Narendra Modi’s guilt or innocence it can assess his administrative competence. He proved himself to be woefully incompetent. That is the kindest interpretation one may put on his decision to parade the bodies of the Godhra victims in a public procession through the streets of Ahmedabad which provoked the horrendous riots. Nor might one engage in a needless debate about the comparative conduct of Narendra Modi and Rajiv Gandhi after the Gujarat riots against Muslims or the Delhi riots against the Sikhs respectively. Let the Congress and the BJP argue about that.
What the public can and should assess is the quality of our investigative agencies that is not relevant to politics. That is a matter of public concern. And that is what leads one to ponder a part of the report submitted by the Special Investigative Team (SIT) appointed by the Supreme Court to probe Gujarat riots. With reference to Modi’s alleged remarks made to Gujarat police officers the SIT Report states: “Even if such allegations are believed for sake of argument, mere statement of alleged words in the four walls of a room does not constitute any offence.” This statement has profound implications that may lead one to revise the interpretation of history.
It might be recalled that when his exasperation with the Jews had reached boiling point Adolph Hitler held a meeting with his collaborators. In that meeting Hitler opined that the only remedy lay in what he termed as a “final solution”. He thought that the Jews must be exterminated from the face of the earth to resolve his problem. Subsequently the Holocaust occurred. Millions of Jews were gassed to death. But did Hitler personally organize the camps to imprison Jews? Did he personally install the gas chambers? Did he personally manufacture the lethal gas that killed millions? It is not known if he did any of these things. He did utter a few words within presumably the four walls of a room. So, was he guilty? The SIT would have a hard time deciding that.
More by : Dr. Rajinder Puri
|The same Mr. Raju Ramachandran advocates in SC that 2008 Mumbai terror attack accused (and lone surviver among attackers) - Kasab, has not been given fair trial and that Kasab does not deserve death penalty !
These days we don't have dearth of mindless people doing high profile jobs in India.
|1) Then the case against Modi hinged upon Sanjiv Bhat's belated averment that the former wanted the Gujarat administration to look the other way as the Hindu teach a lesson or two to the errant Muslims.
2) Now that Raghavan's SIT report exposed Bhat's credibility,the Modi biters are latching onto Raju Ramachandran's reservations about it albeit selectively conveniently ignoring the following in the Amicus Curiae report:
22. I am conscious of the fact that though Shri Bhatt has been contending that he would speak only when under a legal obligation to do so, his conduct after making his statement under Section 161 Cr.P.C. has not been that of a detached police officer who is content with giving his version. I am left with no doubt that he is actively “strategizing”, and is in touch with those who would benefit or gain mileage from his testimony. But these factors, in my view, cannot be grounds for ignoring his statement at this stage.
For once, Rajinder Puri disappoints.
|I don't understand how Hitler and Modi can be compared.
Or, is the media bashing Modi campaign so successful that eminent journalists got Modi equated to Hitler in subconscious minds ?
I really don't understand; if it amounts to Modi's inaptitude that certain things were handled in certain ways that possibly provoked riot ("decision to parade the bodies of the Godhra victims in a public procession through the streets of Ahmedabad"),,,,, THEN one must be strongly condemning those thousand times poisonous actions and decisions by leaders of Congress and allies over several decades that maintained hatred among various sections of population till date and caused many riots in the country (leave alone Sikh riots or 1984).
But so far, I never heard or read any such condemnation. Leave alone those biggies of Congress, I never heard or read any strong condemnation for relatively smaller politicians such as Mr. Raj Thakare, who openly leads to spread hatred between Marathi and Hindi speaking population. In 2009 itself, I thought he could have been shut down, but forget administrative control and legal actions, I haven’t seen any media bashing him the way they bash Modi. Although I have not seen Mr. Modi spreading such hatred in public. And may be, the journalists are OK with the aptitude the sitting leaders in state and central govt. shows when Mr. Thakare provokes public. This is just one of many examples.
But, alas ! there are no media bashing against those actions driven by higher amount of inaptitude in those leaders, so we can’t think about them.
We must focus on determined efforts to declare Modi a total unfit administrator if we can't put him behind bar. After all, an administrator where law and order is comparatively better than Delhi, Mumbai, Bihar, AP etc. and can still be a bad administrator.
A leader that made Gujarat no. 1 investment place in India, that took GDP growth rate of state to double digits may still be a bad administrator.
He indeed is a bad administrator at least in eyes of US and others who want to contain India's growth by ensuring weak and impotent leaders at center.
|FROM RAJIV SRNIVASAN'S SHADOW WARRIOR WEBSITE:
SIT report uncovers the murky world of anti-Modi cottage industry, where cops, journalists, NGOs, politicians are in nexus
May 09, 2012
Ahmedabad, 9 May 2012
In its closure report, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) has clearly expressed an opinion that “certain vested interests including Shri Sanjiv Bhatt, different NGOs, and some political leaders were trying to use honorable Supreme Court/SIT as a forum for settling their scores”. The SIT has in its report noted that “Shri Sanjiv Bhatt had been colluding with the persons with vested interests to see that some kind of charge-sheet is filed against Shri Narendra Modi and others.” The report has quoted some email communications of Sanjiv Bhatt that clearly make a point that Bhatt had attempted to influence Amicas Curiae through NGOs, media campaign and pressure groups.
The SIT in it report says: Government of Gujarat vide its letter dated 22-6-2011 forwarded a set of emails exchanged between Shri Sanjiv Bhatt, DIG, Gujarat Police and certain individuals during April and May 2011. It was mentioned in the above letter that during the course of an inquiry instituted against Shri Sanjiv Bhatt, IPS by DG (Civil Defense), Gujarat regarding misuse of official resources, some revelations have been made having direct bearing on the cases being monitored by SIT. The material forwarded by Govt. of Gujarat has been scrutinized and the salient features of the same are summarized as below:
(1) That top Congress leaders of Gujarat namely Shri Shaktisinh Gohil, Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Legislative Assembly and Shri Arjun Modhwadia, President of Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee are in constant touch with Shri Sanjiv Bhatt, DIG. They are providing him ‘packages’, certain materials and also legal assistance. Further, on 28-04-2011 Shri Sanjiv Bhatt exchanged mails with Shri Shaktisinh Gohil and the former gave point for arguments in honorable Supreme Court matter, allegations to be made against the members of SIT and to establish that the burning of a coach of a Sabarmati Express at Godhra railway station was not a conspiracy. From the emails, it appears that Shri Sanjiv Bhatt was holding personal meetings with senior mentions that he was ‘under exploited’ by the lawyer representing Congress before Nanavati Commission of inquiry.
2. That Shri Sanjiv Bhatt had been persuading various NGOs and other interested groups to influence the Ld. Amicus Curiae and the honorable Supreme Court of India by using ‘media card’ and ‘pressure groups’.
3. Shri Sanjiv Bhatt had been exchanging emails with one Nasir Chippa and in the email dated 11-5-2011 Shri Bhatt has stated that he (Nasir Chipa) should try to mobilize support/pressure-groups in Delhi to influence Ld. Amicus Curiae Shri Raju Ramchandran in a very subtle manner. In another email dated 18-5-2011, Shri Sanjiv Bhatt had requested Shri Nasir Chippa to influence Home Minister Shri P.Chidambaram through pressure groups in U.S. It is believed that Shri Nasir Chippa has strong U.S. connections and his family stays there.
4. That Shri Sanjiv Bhatt arranged an appeal from Shri M.Hassan Jowher, who runs a so called NGO titled SPRAT(Society for Promoting Rationality) to Amicus Curiae on 13-5-2011, to call Shri Sanjiv Bhatt, IPS, Shri Rajnish Rai, IPS, Shri Satish Verma, IPS, Shri Kuldeep Sharma, IPS and Shri Rahul Sharma, IPS (all police officers of Gujarat) to tender their version of the Gujarat story. It may be mentioned here that the draft for the said appeal was sent by Shri Sanjiv Bhatt himself to Shri Jowher, Further, a copy of this mail was circulated by Shri Sanjiv Bhatt to Ms. Shabnam Hashmi, Ms. Teesta Setalwad, Shri Himanshu Thakker, journalist, Shri Leo Saldana, journalist and Shri Nasir Chippa to encourage the prominent persons/organizations to write to Amicus Curiae on the similar lines so as to pressurize him.
5. In emails exchanged on June 1, 2011 between Shri Sanjiv Bhatt and Shri M.H.Jowher, it was proposed that a PIL may be field through a lawyer named Shri K.Vakharia( a senior advocate and chairman of legal cell of Congress party in Gujarat) in the Gujarat High Court for providing security to Shri Sanjiv Bhatt. It was also proposed that another complaint may be filed with the Commissioner of Police, Ahmedabad city against Shri Narendra Modi and others for his alleged involvement in 2002 riots which would be taken to appropriate judicial forums in due course.
6.That Ms. Teesta Setalwad, her lawyer Shri Mihir Desai and Journalist Shri Manoj Mitta of Times of India were in constant touch with Shri Sanjiv Bhatt, IPS and were instrumental in arranging / drafting of the affidavit for filing the same in honorable Supreme court. Vide email dated 10-4-2011, Shri Bhatt solicited “Co-ordinates” from Ms. Teesta Setalwad, who had also arranged for a meeting with her lawyer Shri Mihir Desai at Ellis bridge Gymkhana, Ahmedabad. Shri Sanjiv Bhatt sent the first draft of his proposed affidavit to Shri Manoj Mitta on 13-4-2011, after meeting Shri Mihir Desai, Advocate and invited his suggestions. Shri Manoj Mitta advised Shri Sanjiv Bhatt to incorporate a few more paragraphs drafted by him which were incorporated by Shri Sanjiv Bhatt in his final affidavit sent to honorable Supreme Court of India as suggested by Shri Mitta.
7. That Shri Sanjiv Bhatt was instrumental in arranging an affidavit of one Shri Shubhranshu Chaudhary, a journalist, to corroborate his claim that he had gone to attend a meeting called by the Chief Minister at his residence in the night of 27-2-2002. Significantly, Shri Bhatt had sent his mobile phone details of 27-2-2002 to Shri Shubhranshu Chaudhary and had also suggested that probable timings of his meeting to Shri Shubhranshu Chaudhary on 15-5-2011. Simultaneously, these details were sent to Ms. Teesta Setalwad on 16-5-2011, for drafting the document, presumably the affidavit to be filed by Shri Shubhranshu Chaudhary. Shri Sanjiv Bhatt sent an email to Shri Shubhranshu Chaudhary that the said affidavit could be leaked out to the print media which would force the Amicus Curiae and honorable Supreme Court to take notice of the same. Shri Sanjiv Bhatt also sent another email to Shri Shubhranshu Chaudhary, in which he has stated that they should play the ‘media trick’ so that affidavit is taken seriously by Amicus Curiae and the honorable Supreme Court.
8. That Shri Sanjiv Bhatt had been exchanging emails with one Leo Saldana, a Narmada Bachao Andolan activist, with a view to mobilize public opinion in their favor. On 1-5-2011, Shri Sanjiv Bhatt had sent an email to the latter to the effect that what they needed to do at this stage was to create a situation, where it would be difficult for three judges Supreme Court bench to disregard the ‘shortcomings of SIT under stewardship of Mr. Raghavan’ and that the pressure groups and opinion makers in Delhi could be of great help in forwarding the cause. He has further stated in the mail that he was hopeful that things would start turning around from the next hearing, if proper pressure was maintained at national level.
9.That Shri Sanjiv Bhatt was trying to contact Shri K.S.Subramanyam, a retired IPS officer, through Shri Nasir Chippa to make an affidavit supporting his stand with a view to convince the Amicus Curiae and through him the honorable Supreme Court of India that Shri K.Chakravarthi, former DGP of Gujarat, was a liar.
10. That Shri Sanjiv Bhatt had been taking advice of Ms. Teesta Setalwad in connection with his evidence before Nanavati Commission of inquiry. He had also been in touch with various journalists, NGOs and had been forwarding his representations, applications and other documents through email, whereas on the other side he had been claiming privilege that being an intelligence officer he was duty bound not to disclose anything unless, he was legally compelled to do so.
11. That Shri Sanjiv Bhatt had been maintaining a close contact with Shri Rahul Sharma, DIG of Gujarat Police and had been getting his mobile phone calls analyzed with a view to ascertain his own movements of 27-2-2002. This shows that Bhatt does not recollect his movements on that day. He has also been trying to ascertain the movements of Late Haren Pandya, the then minister of state for Revenue on 27-2-2002, with a view to introduce him as a participant of the meeting of 27-2-2002 held at CM’s residence, but could not do so, as Shri Rahul Sharma had informed him after the analysis that there was absolutely no question of Late Haren Pandya being at Gandhinagar on 27-2-2002 night.
From the study of emails, it appears that certain vested interests including Shri Sanjiv Bhatt, different NGOs, and some political leaders were trying to use honorable Supreme Court/SIT as a forum for settling their scores. This would also go to show that Shri Sanjiv Bhatt had been colluding with the persons with vested interests to see that some kind of charge-sheet is filed against Shri Narendra Modi and others.
|Repetition of endless lies for the last decade has not resulted in the truth because they have been repeatedly exposed as lies.
The rotten KKkangress is incapable of governance and has ruined every constitutional body that this nation has with its' vituperative and divisive politics.
Similarly the "Vaampunks" have tried every trick and failed.
Deliberately skewed " Mockerjee " commissions, crooked judges, a completely biased and exposed media, a thoroughly exposed bunch of vaampunks, a corrupt CVC, a thoroughly discredited CEC, a thoroughly discredited Teesta Aatankvad and her rotten brigade, the Xtian "Stink"express Tehelka...... all the Thin White Witch's bunch of freaks have failed. !! And mind you, they tried everything..... If you read everything, it is obvious that they are desperate to remove/discredit Modi. On one TV show, Modi told the anchor, "Is there no end to the lies you people repeat? " .
Just look at 1984 and the final conviction of Sajjan Kumar after after nearly 3 decades of deceit.
Once Modi make it to PM, the rotten kkkangress, and all the Western interests behind them, know that the sound and light show put on for 60 years could finally be over. That is the ONLY issue here.