Benefits of Massaging Scalp
with Ayurveda Herbal Oils
The skin of the scalp comprises primarily of the inner dermis and the outer epidermis. The hair that grows out of scalp can be divided into two parts, the root and shaft. The root part of hair is in the skin (epidermis) of scalp. The hair root is surrounded by a pouch like structure called follicle.
The base of hair root is in the shape of a bulb. This bulb is indented by capillaries and nerve fibers. The cells in the center of bulb divide. The newly divided hair cells push the previous cells up. The cells which move upwards die slowly forming hard hair shaft.
Scalp has to be massaged regularly with herbal oils to keep the scalp skin and hair follicles healthy.
The following steps have to be followed while massaging scalp.
Benefits of scalp massage
- Select the herbal oil which is suitable for your scalp skin type.
- Usually KB-special oil is recommended for all scalp skin types, as it is made of sesame oil and hair friendly herbs. Sesame oil when processed with herbs alleviates all three doshas.
- The Keshbeam hair oil is recommended for persons who have normal and dry type of scalp skin.
- The hair oil has to be warmed before applying it on scalp. Boil water in a big vessel. Pour massage oil to a small stainless steel bowl. Keep this bowl containing hair oil in hot water till oil becomes warm. Never heat oil directly on stove. Direct heating strips away the essential nutrients in the hair oil.
- Apply this warm herbal oil on scalp with the help of cotton balls. Dip the cotton ball in oil, part the hair carefully and apply oil by smearing the ball along the hairline. Apply hair oil to the entire scalp skin.
- Now massage the scalp with finger tips exerting moderate pressure. The finger tips should be moved in circular motion.
- Scalp massage increases blood supply to scalp skin and increases supply of nutrients to hair follicles.
- According to texts of ayurveda, massaging scalp with herbal oil normalizes vata and reduces hair loss, drying of hair and increases hair growth. The herbs in hair oil boost the scalp skin health. Scalp massage with herbal oil, prevents drying of scalp and dandruff formation. Ayurveda acharyas recommend applying oil to scalp to balance all three doshas in head and neck region.
- Scalp massage reduces stress. Correspondingly, reduction of stress lowers the level of cortisol (stress hormone). Low cortisol level in blood promotes hair growth.
- Scalp massage also help in release of "feel good" hormones known as endorphins which help to elevate one’s mood.
- Last but not least the Scalp massage helps one get a good night’s sleep.
More by :
Dr. Savitha Suri
Top | Ayurveda
i have hairs problem, my hairs are not growing now, i tried so many oils and did treatment also, but the result was not like that as i was expecting, so please suggest me something, what should i do now??