|Enlargement of male breast tissue is known as Gynecomastia.
The word Gynecomastia is derived from two Greek words which means woman breast (Gyne – woman, Mastos – breasts). The enlargement of breast tissue around nipple in men is called true gynecomastia. Fat deposition in male breast is pseudo gynecomastia (pseudo = false). Many men suffer from this problem.
The cause of this condition is uncertain.
Gynecomastia can be treated with:
- According to numerous studies hormonal imbalance in men is one of the causes. Hormonal imbalance can occur due to malnutrition, cirrhosis of liver, hyperthyroidism, diseases of male sex organs etc. Low level of free testosterone leads to enlargement of male breast tissue. Increased level of estrogen in body of men also leads to this condition.
- Various medications which are used to treat heart conditions can cause gynecomastia. Few antibiotics, diuretics, anti ulcer drugs can also cause male breast enlargement.
- Consumption of Alcohol, heroin, marijuana can be disastrous for male breast health.
- Obesity causes imbalance of male hormone. Hence obese men are more likely to face this condition.
- Gynecomastia can occur in infancy and puberty of growing boys. If boy is not obese, it naturally vanishes as age advances.
- Body builders who use anabolic steroids also face this problem. Anabolic steroids increase testosterone level. Part of the increased testosterone is used by body to build up muscles. The excess amount of testosterone is converted to estrogen hormone. The estrogen hormone causes gynecomastia.
- Gynecomastia can run in family.
- Testosterone replacement therapy (only in older men).
- Hormone balancing medications. Many hormone therapists opine that balancing hormones while treating gynecomastia will also provide relief from other andropause symptoms such as weight gain and erectile dysfunction.
- Male breast reduction surgery is employed to reduce enlarged breast tissue. The breast tissue is completely removed to reduce the size of male breast. The fat tissue in pseudo gynecomastia is removed through Liposuction. Liposuction is a plastic surgery used for cosmetic purposes. Lipo – means fat. The prefix “Lipo” is usually used to indicate fat. Removing body fat deposits through suction is “Liposuction”. Some times excision of breast tissue and liposuction are combined for an effective treatment. These surgeries help to boost confidence in patient. Usually results are permanent and patient can walk out of hospital with flat firm chest.
- If gynecomastia is of milder form tight fitting cloths can make men comfortable.