Society & Lifestyle
|Ayurveda||Share This Page|
Folk Uses of Selected Indian Medicinal Plants
|by Dr. Balaji Sawant|
The term folk medicine refers to healing practices and ideas of body physiology and health preservation known to a limited segment of the population in a culture, transmitted informally as general knowledge, and practiced or applied by anyone in the culture having prior experience.
Khadir (Acacia catechu) Mimosaceae
- Kols of Uttar Pradesh use its leaves for blood dysentery.
Aralu(Ailanthus excelsa) Simaroubaceae
- Inhabitants of Saurastra district in Gujrat use its leaves for rheumatism.
Swarnakshiri(Argemone mexicana) Papaveraceae
- Korku tribes of Akola district in Maharashtra use its roots for piles. Roots are burnt and fermentation is done.
Kanchanar(Bauhinia veregata) Caesalpineaceae
- Inhabitants of Garhwal Himalaya use its bark for malaria.
Daruharidra(Berberis asiatica) Berberidaceae
- Inhabitants of Assam use its roots for the treatement of bleeding piles.
- Johari tribes of UP use its bark for jaundice and ear ache.
Punarnava (Boerrhavia diffesa) Nyctaginaceae
- Inhabitants of Garhwal Himalaya use its roots for piles.
Palash (Butea monosprama) Leguminosae
- Andh, Bhil , Gond ,Halba, Korku and Malhar tribes of Khandala region in Maharashtra State use its flower for urinary complaints.
Ark (Calotropis gigantea) Asclepiadaceae
- Bhil, agari, dhodia, dubla, khakari and reikare tribes of Dahanu forest in Maharashtra State use its root extract to kill guinea worms.
Chakramarda (Cassia tora) Caesalpiniaceae
- Bhoxa of Bijnor distrct in UP eat the young leaves for rheumatic pain.
Patha (Cissampelos pareira) Menispermaceae
- Local people of Assam use its leaves for jaundice.
Aparajita(Clitoria ternatia) Fabaceae
- Inhabitants of Dhasan valley in Bundelkhand region of UP apply the powdered root externally for the treatment of goitre and leprosy.
Amragandhi haridra (Curcuma aromatica) Zingiberaceae
- Khasi and gan tribes of Meghalaya use internally its rhizome paste with water to kill intestinal worms.
Amarwel (Cuscuta reflexa) Cuscutaceae
- Thams of Kheri district of UP use the paste of plant for treatment of swelling of testicles.
Dhatura (Datura metal) Solanaceae
- Inhabitants of Rajastan and West Bengal use Dhatura for leprosy.
Ashwatha (Ficus religiosa) Moraceae
- Rabha tribes of West Bengal use its bark for haematuria.
|More by : Dr. Balaji Sawant|
|Views: 1092 Comments: 0|
|Top | Ayurveda|