Myopia and Ayurvedic Treatment by Rashmi Koyande SignUp

Stories
Travelogues
Workshop

Ayurveda Share This Page
Myopia and Ayurvedic Treatment
by Dr.Rashmi Koyande Bookmark and Share

Diagram showing myopia, a defect of the eyes in which the eyeball is too long, or the cornea overly curved. This leads to images being focused in front of the retina, instead of on it. Nearsightedness, or the blurring of objects at a distance, results.

Vision is said to be a priceless,heritage greately influencing a person’s personality mentality and behaviour. Refractive error is the most common nuisance to humanity.It hampers day to day activities of a person unless taken care properly.Uncorretced refractive errors are the most frequently encountered reason for visual impairement.

Nearsightedness, or myopia, is the most common refractive error of the eye, and it has become more prevalent in recent years. If you are nearsighted, you typically will have difficulty reading road signs and seeing distant objects clearly, but will be able to see well for close-up tasks such as reading and computer use.Other signs and symptoms of myopia include squinting, eye strain and headaches. Feeling fatigued when driving or playing sports also can be a symptom of uncorrected nearsightedness.

What Causes Myopia?

Nearsighted eyes are longer than usual, so when light rays enter, they come to a focus before reaching their destination, which is the retina at the back wall of the eye.

The exact cause of nearsightedness is unknown, but two factors may be primarily responsible for its development:

• heredity
  • visual stress

There is significant evidence that many people inherit nearsightedness, or at least the tendency to develop nearsightedness. If one or both parents are nearsighted, there is an increased chance their children will be nearsighted.Even though the tendency to develop nearsightedness may be inherited, its actual development may be affected by how a person uses his or her eyes. Individuals who spend considerable time reading, working at a computer, or doing other intense close visual work may be more likely to develop nearsightedness.

Myopia treatment according to modern methods

• eyeglasses
  • contact lenses
  • orthokeratology
  • laser and other refractive surgery procedures
  • vision therapy for persons with stress-related nearsightedness.

These modalities can only improve the visual acuity but can not stop progression of number or degenerative changes. In most cases, nearsightedness is simply a minor inconvenience and poses little or no risk to the health of the eye. But sometimes myopia can be so progressive and severe it is considered a degenerative condition. People with the condition have a significantly increased risk of retinal detachment and other degenerative changes in the back of the eye, including bleeding in the eye from abnormal blood vessel growth (neovascularization).

Ayurvedic treatment

1. Samshodhan (Purifying procedure) - Virechan karma is used for shodhana purpose.
  2. Nasya-Panchendriya vardhan Taila nasya 4 drops in each nostril
  3. Tarpan-Triphala ghrit tarpan. For 3 months with alternate 7 days nasya and 7 days Tarpan.
  4. Internal medicine - Tb. Saptamrut loha - 2 tab twice with 1 tsf triphala ghee and half tsf honey after meal.
  5. Tratak karma-To concentrate on some point till watering of eyes.
  6. Palming technique-closing both eyes by using both palms.
  7. Eye exercise

Image (c) Gettyimages.com

23-Aug-2013
More by :  Dr. Rashmi Koyande

Views: 9600      Comments: 30

Comments on this Article

Comment dr, i have power 1.75 on both eyes.can cmpletly cure myopia by ayurveda trtment?

maneesha joshy
08/29/2016 12:58 PM

Comment Hi Doctor ,

My daughter (3 yr 6 month ) is diagnosed myopic with power of -6 in both eyes. She started using glasses. My husband is also myopic with power of -14. He was also diagnosed myopic in childhood. Can this be cured using ayurvedic treatment. Please share your thoughts .

Thanks,
Shobha

shobha
06/06/2016 02:55 AM

Comment Dr. Madam
My nephew - 6 years old has myopia -1 with astigmatism diagnosed only 5 days back. Now has glasses. Tell me some ayurvedic treatment. I am ready to pay yr fees of treatment cost.
Thanks

Arun
05/06/2016 05:14 AM

Comment Hii I am using -0.5 spect form last month
Please help me told me ayurvedic cure and treatment for this

rohit kodaan
04/16/2016 13:36 PM

Comment My daughter is 4 years old. she has got high mypia (Shortsightedness) of -9 in both eyes.In alophathic medicine doctor sujested to use eye glass for lifetime.

Can you please suggest any other remedy by which he myopia can be reduced.

I eagerly wait for your reply and suggestions.

regards,

p.shaji

P.SHAJI
04/01/2016 04:23 AM

Comment Sir
I am myopic with -4.75 in both eyes.What are the treatments for this without eye Lasik,Contact Lense and Glasses? Is it curable in Ayurveda?

Anjana Sabu
03/16/2016 01:36 AM

Comment My daughter is aged 8 yrs and she is having shortsightedness , having -2.75 and -3.50 Madam is there any Ayurvedic medicine or yoga to cure the problem.or If such things is there please advise me .

parameshwara
02/11/2016 06:23 AM

Comment Dear Sir

I read a lot about Ayurveda on Internet and associated websites.
Need your consultation for my 4 Year old son, Aarush.

He has been detected with Severe Myopia (-15 in Right Eye and -12 in Left Eye) along with Nystagmus.(since Childhood)
He underwent squint surgery at 2 Years from AIIMS eye department.

The doctor says it is progressive myopia and may be increased with age.

Dear Sir,
I have full faith on Ayurveda.
Pls. suggest some herbal remedies for cure of this disease which can stop myopia from Progression if not completely cure it.

Waiting eagerly for your reply.
Regards

Ritu Dayal Babbar.

Ritu Dayal
12/03/2015 04:48 AM

Comment Sir/mam,
my eyes getting worse gradually now it is -18 @right eye and -3@left eye. i gone through every prescription made by Dr's except AYURVEDA but it is still progressing...VOIDS is developing in cornea which is scaring for me....i've gone through GREEN LASER in my right eye in order to stitch that voids..now it is also developing in my Left eye.....if anyone has any kind of suggestion regarding these than pls mail me....i'm 21 year old
mail:- rohitsingh.0v@gmail.com

thanks in advance

rohit ranjan singh
10/31/2015 08:57 AM

Comment I am suffering from myopia with -1.25 & -1.75 in left & right eye respectively.I want not only to control it but also improve my eye vision .pls suggest some Ayurvedic treatments.

pratik
08/29/2015 15:23 PM

Comment My son Aman Kumar (17 yrs) has glasses with -7.5. Please suggest any cure treatment.

B.K mishra

Binod Kumar Mishra
08/10/2015 05:37 AM

Comment Dear Sir,

My friend has a high myopia, glaucoma and problem with the membrane. He is 60 years old.
Where is your clinic?
Please give me more information on what you could do.

Thank you much.

Best Regards,

Christina

Christina Gavriilidou
07/14/2015 14:58 PM

Comment Sir,
My daughter is now 22 years and studying for B.D.S 3rd year. Her right eye has very little vision from child hood and hence plain glass was suggested. left eye was normal but had to wear power glass of - 5.5. Now a small pain has started in the right eye. I took her to a well known eye hospital and was found that her right eye has dense caterac besides myopia. Looking at her teen age Doctor did'nt opt for removal of caterac and advised me to contact him for any pain if felt. Will my daughter's left eye be affected?

Your valuable suggestion is soliced for advising me as to what treatment is available in such cases. whether this problems can be cured.

with thanks and regards,
C R S Pillai

C R S Pillai
06/18/2015 14:27 PM

Comment My son is 5 years old. He has got high mypia (Shortsightedness) of -11 and -11.5. He is presently using eye glasses form last 2 years

Can you please suggest any other remedy by which he myopia can be cured

Kalpana Tayade
06/15/2015 23:25 PM

Comment sir, my daughter 6 year old is having progressive myopia. within one year she became minus2. Is there any treatment in ayurveda? how long she will need to undergo the treatment. can she able to remove her glasses if she will get tretment

kindly advice. we are really worried about her. she is very much fond of reading books.

liju
05/25/2015 03:55 AM

Comment I am myopic. My elder son has become myopic with -5.5 in both eyes . Can this error be rectified without laser treatment i.e., naturally by medicines and exercises. Please let me know if there is a possibility and HOW
Sudhamani

Sudhamani
04/10/2015 00:25 AM

Comment Sir,is Myopia mean same decise named keratoconus ? i m suffering Keratoconus.can u help me please to get in?

Nimanthie jayasinghe
03/24/2015 14:06 PM

Comment my child is having myopia . he is 6 years old . Can it be cured.

preeti
01/21/2015 01:05 AM

Comment Respected Sir,

please inform me the treatment available in ayurveda to control myopia. Is it fully cured? Hospitalisation is required to patient? kindly inform me.

Thanks and regards.

Ramya
11/27/2014 03:12 AM

Comment My son Rishi(18 yrs) has glasses with -7.5. Please suggest any cure treatment.

PK Tulsyan
11/23/2014 22:45 PM

Comment My son is 3 years old. He has got high mypia (Shortsightedness) of -11 and -11.5. He is presently using spects for the lost 2 months. We are giving him Mahatriphala grutha of Kottakal Ayurveda morning and evening 1/2 tea spoon with cow milk.

Can you please suggest any other remedy by which he myopia can be reduced.

I eagerly wait for your reply and suggestions.

regards,

U.N.Rao

U.N.Rao
10/15/2014 04:54 AM

Comment sir i am suffer with a myopia of -7 ad -6.
can u give me any suggession

jaydeep varma
10/11/2014 07:04 AM

Comment Hi ,
I am a mother of 2yr and 4months old boy. My son is recently detected with High myopia (-8) and (-7) and doctors say it is because he has an elongated eye by birth. They say that the only cure for this is that he has to wear glasses and only after he is 18 we can think of any surgery or something.
I am very tense since , he is very young to even wear glasses or do any of the eye exercises.
It would be great if you could suggest something that helps..

Could you please give some information.

Thanks in advance!

Bhawna
09/10/2014 06:11 AM

Comment I'm Meena from Tamilnadu. My mother has short sight problem at the Age of 12.

Now Me and My sister got same problem at the age of 12. Now My younger sister is also having same problem and her age is 10.

Kindly inform whether it can be cured.

Thanks & Regards,
S.Meenakshi

Meena
08/23/2014 02:27 AM

Hello Sir,

I am Pranaya Kumar Mishra from Cuttack, Odisha, My son Ritesh is 8
years now , at the age of 4, we found his eye problem . after
examination,we came to know that he is suffering from High Clinical
Myopia with ASTIGMATISM. He is using spects but it is increasing now
his power is -13 and -14. please advice me if there is any solution on
ayurvedic treatment.

PRANAYA KUMAR MISHRA
07/13/2014 02:05 AM

Comment Hello sir,

I am Dr. Prathibha from Abudhabi. I had come across an article in your website regarding treatment for myopia. This mail is in regard to some of my queries about the same.

My daughter , 3 year old, was recently diagnosed with lazy eye(left eye),with a myopic power of -4.5.her right eye is normal except for mild astigmatism. She is asked to wear glasses now. She is also made to patch her right eye to stimulate the vision in her lazy eye.

Is there some permanent treatment possibility for this problem in ayurveda,as my child is very small to wear glasses at this age(mostly she does not co operate because she can see with her right eye).If so, how long will we have to be there for the treatment and what will be the convenient time,as we are planning for a vacation shortly.

please let me know the details so that we can plan our leave and vacation accordingly.Looking forward to your kind reply.

Thanks and regards
Dr. Prathibha

prathibha
07/12/2014 11:46 AM

Comment please sent home treatment remedies to my email.

Pankaj Singh
03/21/2014 11:04 AM

Comment please give me usual treatment by the product used in daily life. I SHALL BE HIGHLY THANKFUL TO YOU FOR THIS ACT OF KINDNESS.

Pankaj Singh
03/21/2014 10:02 AM

Comment I use multifocal glasses which are actually meant for reading only, now my eye sight has started troubling me , I work on computers a lot is there a way of getting rid of my glasses?

Nima
10/13/2013 03:41 AM

Comment thax; for this useful information, but usually people prefer to modern medicine now a days.

deepak tripathi
09/19/2013 03:41 AM

Name *
Email ID
 (will not be published)
Characters
Verification Code*
Can't read? Reload
Please fill the above code for verification.

Top | Ayurveda

2018 All Rights Reserved

No part of this Internet site may be reproduced without prior written permission of the copyright holder