Total cooking time: 10 minutes
Fresh coconut: 1/2
Curry leaves: 1 bowl
Kokum: 7 - 8
Wheat flour: 2 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Grated Coconut: 2 tbsp (Dry or wet)
Powdered coriander seeds (Dhania powder): 1 tsp
Powdered cumin seeds (Jeera powder): 1/4 tsp
Garlic: 6-7 cloves
Green chillies: 4-5
Fresh coriander leaves: 1/4 cup
Pepper corns: 8-10
- Grind together all ingredients for the masala and keep aside.
- Grate half coconut and remove the milk to fill about 4-5 tall glasses.
- Place a deep vessel on medium flame and pour the coconut milk. Add curry leaves, kokum, turmeric powder, ground masala, salt and wheat flour. Stir continuously and let the mixture boil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Put out the flame and stir a bit.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.
The curry is very good for summer, because of the cooling effects of coconut and kokum. It is also good for digestion and usually eaten with rice, accompanied with other usually heavy foods. As the recipe is totally oil free it is good for those who are calorie conscious.