–A Healthy Drink described in Ayurveda
Butter milk is known as “Takra” in ayurveda. Its properties and medicinal qualities are described in as follows.
Takram laghu kashayaamlam deepanam kaphavaatajit ||
Pleehagulmaghritavyaapadgarpaanduvaamayaan jayeth ||
Butter milk does not cause heaviness when consumed. Hence it is known to have the quality “laghu”. It gets digested quickly and easily. Butter milk is usually sour in taste and acts as an astringent. (Due to this property butter milk helps in reducing pores caused by acne and pimples. It reduces hyper motility of intestines during diarrhea and IBS. This property also helps to shrink hemorrhoids).Aggravated kapha and vata are mitigated by buttermilk. It is the best appetizer. According to ayurveda it reduces bloating of stomach, eases symptoms of hemorrhoids, soothes intestines in IBS and helps in indigestion. It also reduces effects of poison and is very useful in treating anemia.
Butter milk detoxifies body and cleanses the intestines, relieves constipation and helps to replenish intestinal flora. It has less fat compared to milk and is rich in calcium, potassium and vit B12.
How to Prepare Buttermilk
Thick curd should be whipped to separate butter. The liquid portion which remains after separating butter is called as butter milk or “takra”. When this butter milk is mixed with water , it is called as “sajala takra”. If the buttermilk is used without adding water, it is called as “nirjala takra”.
How to Make a Tasty Drink Out of Buttermilk
Mix ½ glass of butter milk to ½ glass of water. Churn it well. Add a pinch of salt, ½ tea spoon ginger juice and squeeze ½ lime to it. Garnish with coriander leaves. This quenches thirst, reduces nausea and vomiting.
Home Remedies Using Buttermilk
- Mix a pinch of salt, ½ tea spoon ginger juice and crushed cumin seeds to a glass of butter milk. This relieves acidity, constipation and symptoms of piles.
- Add a pinch of salt, a tea spoon of sugar to a glass of butter milk diluted with water. This acts as a very good rehydrating formula in diarrhea and dehydration. It supplies energy instantaneously and reduces frequency of stools.
- It is a healthy drink for people who suffer from obesity, piles and inflammed colon or ibs.
- Massage a mixture of butter milk and salt on pores caused by acne and pimples. Then wash it off with warm water and rinse once again with cold water. This helps to reduce the pores.
- Regular consumption of butter milk strengthens the digestive system and keeps it free from infections.
More by :
Dr. Savitha Suri
Top | Ayurveda
||best version of butter milk explained. we the indian especially punjabi people often start the day in summer with lassi (butter milk) thankx for such knowledgeable articles.||