The word pizza dates back to the 16th century, and the ingredients vary from country to country...peach alices and corn(Taiwan), sweet potato puree(South Korea), scrambled eggs and squid ink(Japan), and French fries fried together with the pizza(Scotland).
The traditional toppings are tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil. Regardless of what is put on top of it, it continues to conquer the world as one of the most popular foods.
* October is National Pizza Month in the United States.
* In the United States alone, 3 billion pizzas are sold every year.
* The average American citizen eats 23 pounds (10.5 Kilograms) of pizza (about 46 slices) every year.
* Americans are eating 350 slices of pizza every second. That is 2,100 every minute!
* Quick! How many pizzas do you think you have eaten in your life? One hundred? One thousand? Ten thousand? How about 259,000? Ross Taylor, the world record holder for most pizzas eaten in a ligfetime, has eaten more than 259,000 pizzas in 21 years.