- 1 billion people live without clean drinking water.
- 2 billion people live without safe sanitation facilities.
- 1.8 million children die each year from diseases caused by dirty water and poor sanitation.
- 40.3 million people are infected with HIV, including 2 million young people aged 15-24
- 14 million children have lost at least one parent to AIDS.
- 90 percent of HIV-positive people in poor countries have no access to the antiretroviral medicines that are used to treat the disease in rich countries.
- 500,000 children die of measles each year, most in developing countries where they have no access to effective vaccines.
- 1 million people die from malaria each year because they have no access to treatment.
- 25 million people were displaced in their own countries because of war or human rights violations in 2004.
- 25 million people were victims of natural disasters in 2004.
- 1 billion people do not have enough food to survive.
- More than 8 million die each year because of poverty